Wednesday 16 March 2011

I am so fortunate

MONDAY, 11 JUNE 2007

I am so fortunate

I started today feeling a little sorry for myself, and then two things happened

A phone call
The question I am almost afraid to ask
How is everyone?
“The children are distraught
They believe their parents have abandoned them”
One is with her aunt in Adhamyia
The other is with his grandmother in Erbil
Their parents are in transition
One in hiding in a neighbouring country
The other in a refugee camp waiting for an interview
Trying desperately to save them
By temporarily leaving them behind

A slide
Would you mind looking at this?
My young colleague asked
It is from an anaemic child
I adjusted the eyepiece
Scanning the blood film
Then turning the lenses
Homing down on one cell
That familiar uncomfortable feeling
I started to describe why to my companion
But one abnormal cell is not enough I reassured her
Then in the corner of my field of vision
Another leukaemic cell
No mistaking it now
I checked his details
And noted his date of birth
Two days older than my children
As I walked towards his room
I am a mother
About to tell another mother
The news that will change her life forever

I remind myself how incredibly fortunate I am
POSTED BY 3EERAQIMEDIC AT 22:04 4 COMMENTS

Little Penguin said...
you know, I was walking back home today and thinking to myself 'im gonna break.. this is it'.. reading your post, I think I ought to look at the bigger picture..

Despite the insurmountable hurdle I am facing, I, too, am incredibly fortunate..

Thank you for the reminder.
12 June 2007 12:34

3eeraqimedic said...
Little Penguin
Whatever the hurdle, I hope you overcome it soon.
13 June 2007 22:24

Yasmin (Blanche) said...
dear 3eeraqi Medic,
i really admire the human feelings u pour into yr posts.. u seem to b such a sensitive person, regarding yr profession, u seem to suffer with each case u face..
v touching post..
im late in my comment i know, but i could not get to the internet fro a while ..
regards and best wishes..
15 June 2007 19:24

3eeraqimedic said...
Yasmin
I think you have hit the nail on the head, I am way too sensitive, and that is the problem.
Take care
22 June 2007 23:18

No comments:

Post a Comment